Skip to main content

Value + Color

Value + Color

In this project we had the opportunity to work with real materials to create different artistic tools in order to understand the course material. 

The first project I did was the Value Scale, something I've done many times before in drawing classes. I enjoyed this project, however I wish I would've put tape down to be neater in the making of the scale.
 
Then I worked on the Color Wheel. This project didn't turn out the way it was supposed to as I couldn't find any acrylic paints in the store labeled 'Cyan' or 'Magenta' so I tried to pick a red/pink color and a light green/blue color that matched the best. 
I definitely prefer the Value Scale to the Color Wheel, as I don't much enjoy woking with paints (other than watercolor). I believe the important discovery in making the Color Wheel was that magenta, cyan, and yellow are in fact the true primary colors, this discovery also happened to be the most critical information in the video we watched on color. I rather enjoyed this project as it was not as much screen time and it was more hands on, I really appreciated the break up from all the other videos in this course. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Elements + Principles of Design: Reflection Journal

Elements + Principles of Design: Reflection Journal In this project we were asked to capture photos that represent the different elements and principles of design. I worked on my project a bit differently, and combed through photographs I had already taken (as photography is my concentration there were many), and find photographs that were exemplary of the different  elements and principles of design. I used a photographs that ranged from up to 3 years ago, as that is when I started being quite purposeful with my photography and felt I had enough photographs that incorporated these elements and principles. I actually found this project quite enjoyable as I realized some of my simplest photographs were the strongest in conveying these principles. I also found that most of my photographs were of organic substances, mostly taken outside, or at the Botanical Gardens.   Below is a slideshow of the different elements and principles of design: Elements and Principle...

Logos + Fine Art

Logos + Fine Art This week we had two projects, the first one being an exploration of logo design.  For this project we learned about what goes into the designing and editing of logos. We then had to go through the process of designing a logo for ourselves. I found this to be a rather enjoyable project as learning about the different aspects of logo design was quite interesting, andI am pleased with my final design of a personal logo.  In my initial stages I decided to try a series of designs featuring a J or my middle name, Jade, spelled out. I have been introducing myself and going by my middle name for a few years now and I feel it resembles my identity better. I played around with combining this letter J with the color yellow, with the design of a bee, with the words; honest, homemade + simple, as well as a strong feature of circles in my designs, as I felt all these components related to who I identify as.  In my final design, I utilized aspects from the...

Guernica

Guernica + Me Pablo Picasso's piece Guernica was created in 1937, as a reaction to the bombing of Guernica during the Spanish civil war. Upon first viewing the piece it appears to be a greyscale painting, but when view with a more careful eye, grays become blue, and shed light onto the sadness Picasso felt about this tragedy. But the piece did more than shed light onto how Picasso felt about the war, it exposed the world to the war as the piece went on a brief tour to bring publicity and hopefully aid to the war. This piece grand scale also speaks to how heavily this war affected not only Picasso but the public of Spain. It also happens to be painted in oil paints, which wasn't unusual for the time period, but it speaks to the effort that Picasso went into painting this piece, as oil takes an extremely long time to dry and therefore is quite precarious to use.   The other assignment we were tasked with this week was creating a self-portrait. Spring is coming. Self-P...