Skip to main content

Masks and More...

Masks and More...

Videos

This week we had a choice of the videos we could watch, I chose to watch the Chinese Art: Treasures of the National Palace Museum videos. I chose this video because I felt as though Chinese art and culture was not something I knew a lot about. In this video I learned that the most popular medium for art was ceramics. And that pale colors were often used in their works as they were favorable in Chinese culture at the time. However, tea bowls were ofter glazed in black to better show the pale color of the teas they were served. Details were very few and far between on many pieces as simplicity was viewed as more beautiful, however the details that were included were very well constructed and refined exquisitely. 
I also watched African Art because it was another culture I felt I didn't know much about. I learned through this video that the most popular medium was ceremonial art. This mainly consisted of statues and masks. The most common materials used to construct the masks were wood, and straw, which is why many great woks are lost to us today. African art is interesting to me because of the high value they put on conceptual subject matter, rather than realistic portrayal. 

Masks

I took my inspiration for this project from an astrological position. My key inspiration came from a Venetian mask that depicts Capricornius. 
But I was also interested in these other masks
 

During the researching process I made some thumbnail sketches of ideas I liked. 

I then developed it into this mask.
It is based off of my astrological symbol the Taurus. It includes symbols that represent it, and its properties. On top its glyph, then below it the symbol for earth, then below it a symbol for the sun. I enjoyed creating this mask, but I enjoyed the research on it much more. I found it fascinating how different masks from different cultures looked. And how many different purposes masks served. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logos + Fine Art

Logos + Fine Art This week we had two projects, the first one being an exploration of logo design.  For this project we learned about what goes into the designing and editing of logos. We then had to go through the process of designing a logo for ourselves. I found this to be a rather enjoyable project as learning about the different aspects of logo design was quite interesting, andI am pleased with my final design of a personal logo.  In my initial stages I decided to try a series of designs featuring a J or my middle name, Jade, spelled out. I have been introducing myself and going by my middle name for a few years now and I feel it resembles my identity better. I played around with combining this letter J with the color yellow, with the design of a bee, with the words; honest, homemade + simple, as well as a strong feature of circles in my designs, as I felt all these components related to who I identify as.  In my final design, I utilized aspects from the...

Elements + Principles of Design: Reflection Journal

Elements + Principles of Design: Reflection Journal In this project we were asked to capture photos that represent the different elements and principles of design. I worked on my project a bit differently, and combed through photographs I had already taken (as photography is my concentration there were many), and find photographs that were exemplary of the different  elements and principles of design. I used a photographs that ranged from up to 3 years ago, as that is when I started being quite purposeful with my photography and felt I had enough photographs that incorporated these elements and principles. I actually found this project quite enjoyable as I realized some of my simplest photographs were the strongest in conveying these principles. I also found that most of my photographs were of organic substances, mostly taken outside, or at the Botanical Gardens.   Below is a slideshow of the different elements and principles of design: Elements and Principle...

Guernica

Guernica + Me Pablo Picasso's piece Guernica was created in 1937, as a reaction to the bombing of Guernica during the Spanish civil war. Upon first viewing the piece it appears to be a greyscale painting, but when view with a more careful eye, grays become blue, and shed light onto the sadness Picasso felt about this tragedy. But the piece did more than shed light onto how Picasso felt about the war, it exposed the world to the war as the piece went on a brief tour to bring publicity and hopefully aid to the war. This piece grand scale also speaks to how heavily this war affected not only Picasso but the public of Spain. It also happens to be painted in oil paints, which wasn't unusual for the time period, but it speaks to the effort that Picasso went into painting this piece, as oil takes an extremely long time to dry and therefore is quite precarious to use.   The other assignment we were tasked with this week was creating a self-portrait. Spring is coming. Self-P...