Skip to main content

Visual Culture Art Education (VCAE) Blog Posting

Visual Culture Art Education (VCAE) Blog Posting:


In your own words, what does Visual Culture mean to you, how would you define it?
Visual Culture is the collection of imagery that we as a society hold in regard as important.

What are the most important things discussed that are still relevant today in regards to Art Education and Visual Culture?
I think the idea of sharing personal experiences with students was an important issue discussed. Because not only can students "learn from your mistakes", I think this also helps ground you as a human to your students. 


Have you heard of "Zines" before? 
Yes, they're frequently talked about and respected in the photography community. I actually own a few, including a great book called "Making Stuff and Doing Things" which is a collection of zines. 

What do you think about the Zine Library?
I think its a good idea, they show an excerpt of a culture, traditionally of alternative group, which will some day be fascinating to historians, and a great documentation of a subgroup of our culture.

What do you think of the concept of consumers/producers?
I think its an interesting take on art and why we make it, and what we ultimately get out of it, which is the doing.

Would you find the creation of a Zine an appropriate topic/project to explore in your classroom?
Yes, I find it incredibly applicable to art education, but what the project revolved around would vary from age group to age group.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Logos + Fine Art

Logos + Fine Art This week we had two projects, the first one being an exploration of logo design.  For this project we learned about what goes into the designing and editing of logos. We then had to go through the process of designing a logo for ourselves. I found this to be a rather enjoyable project as learning about the different aspects of logo design was quite interesting, andI am pleased with my final design of a personal logo.  In my initial stages I decided to try a series of designs featuring a J or my middle name, Jade, spelled out. I have been introducing myself and going by my middle name for a few years now and I feel it resembles my identity better. I played around with combining this letter J with the color yellow, with the design of a bee, with the words; honest, homemade + simple, as well as a strong feature of circles in my designs, as I felt all these components related to who I identify as.  In my final design, I utilized aspects from the...

Elements + Principles of Design: Reflection Journal

Elements + Principles of Design: Reflection Journal In this project we were asked to capture photos that represent the different elements and principles of design. I worked on my project a bit differently, and combed through photographs I had already taken (as photography is my concentration there were many), and find photographs that were exemplary of the different  elements and principles of design. I used a photographs that ranged from up to 3 years ago, as that is when I started being quite purposeful with my photography and felt I had enough photographs that incorporated these elements and principles. I actually found this project quite enjoyable as I realized some of my simplest photographs were the strongest in conveying these principles. I also found that most of my photographs were of organic substances, mostly taken outside, or at the Botanical Gardens.   Below is a slideshow of the different elements and principles of design: Elements and Principle...

Guernica

Guernica + Me Pablo Picasso's piece Guernica was created in 1937, as a reaction to the bombing of Guernica during the Spanish civil war. Upon first viewing the piece it appears to be a greyscale painting, but when view with a more careful eye, grays become blue, and shed light onto the sadness Picasso felt about this tragedy. But the piece did more than shed light onto how Picasso felt about the war, it exposed the world to the war as the piece went on a brief tour to bring publicity and hopefully aid to the war. This piece grand scale also speaks to how heavily this war affected not only Picasso but the public of Spain. It also happens to be painted in oil paints, which wasn't unusual for the time period, but it speaks to the effort that Picasso went into painting this piece, as oil takes an extremely long time to dry and therefore is quite precarious to use.   The other assignment we were tasked with this week was creating a self-portrait. Spring is coming. Self-P...